Tuesday, May 13, 2008

'Wisdom' indeed -.-

ARGH!
I can't believe that the swollen gum at the back of my lower left molar which I thought was a huge ulcer is actually a Wisdom Tooth!
Damn wisdom tooth! Why must you only erupt now? And I miss school today because I know I won't be able to concentrate anyway! And I would be going to see dentist later to see how's my condition.

Unfamiliar with Wisdom tooth, I went Wikipedia to know more about it.
And I found out:
Wisdom teeth are the third molar and usually appear between the ages of 17 and 25.

Most people have four wisdom teeth, but it is possible to have more or fewer. (Oh man, I hope I belong to the minority!)

Sometimes the wisdom tooth fails to erupt completely through the gum bed and the gum at the back of the wisdom tooth extends over the biting surface, forming a soft tissue flap or lid around the tooth called an operculum. (I think I have this problem! Argh!)

Common symptoms include a swelling and redness of the gum around the eruption site, difficulty in opening the mouth, a bad odor or taste in the mouth, and pain in the general area which may also run down the entire lower jaw or possibly the neck. (Yes! Pain!!)

Evolution may be part of the cause of getting Wisdom tooth:
Wisdom teeth are vestigial third molars. In earlier times, when tooth loss in early adulthood was common, an additional molar had the potential to fill in a gap left by the loss of another tooth. It has also been postulated that the skulls of human ancestors had larger jaws with more teeth, which were possibly used to help chew down foliage to compensate for a lack of ability to efficiently digest the cellulose that makes up a plant cell wall. As human diet changed, a smaller jaw was selected by evolution, yet the third molars, or "wisdom teeth", still commonly develop in human mouths.

Other findings suggest that a given culture's diet is a larger factor than genetics in the development of jaw size during human development (and, consequently, the space available for wisdom teeth).

Different human populations differ greatly in the percentage of the population which form wisdom teeth, ranging from 99.8% in Bantu speakers to nearly 0% in Mexican Indians The difference is related to the PAX9 gene (and perhaps other genes).

(PAX9 gene has found to be associated with a number of organ and other skeletal developments, particularly teeth. It transcribes a protein of 341 amino acids from 4 exons and 1,644bps in humans.)

Sigh...Dunno whether I'll be asked to go for operaton to have the wisdom tooth extracted out or not. If I'm advised to, of course I will. I don't want any future problems. Moreover, it takes a shorter time to heal when you are younger. But the healing process will be a very painful one! Bleeding and oozing are inevitable and will last for at least 3 days. =(
=.= I have thought and worried so much about it when I have not even go and see a dentist.

I have been starving for 2 days already! Because I can't even bite properly as it is really painful!
Including today, it will be 3 days in which I am consuming only a tiny percentage of calories recommended for a 18-year-old. For these 3 days, a bowl of very watery porridge, a bottle of soya bean milk, 1 cup of milk, 1 cup of milo and 2 slices of white bread are what I have consumed in total. And of course drank about only 5 mugs of water which provides 0 calorie.
But weirdly, my stomach didn't give me hungry pangs, or least not those loud ones. It only gives me an 'acidic' feeling of my hydrochloric acid churning air. Guess my body understands my problem well. Much as I want to eat something nice (I want to go try the Fish Zinger!), I am unable to. Hope my body won't mistake me as anorexic though. =.=

Maybe it's a good and rare chance for me to cut down my weight and to become slimer. lolx...
Measured at 55kg when I go weighed myself recently, I wonder how many kilos I will lose after this ordeal.

Perhaps the fortunate thing is that my widsom tooth erupt now rather than during important exam period, though there is GP mid-year exam next Friday and Bio and Chem SPA 2 weeks later. To digress a little, I passed my Chem Organic Test! =] And I passed my NAPFA test!!! I was so relieved!

J2s are invited to go and support the Volleyball boys in the final match this thursday. It's been a long time since I watch a match since last year (only once) and I'm looking forward to this match. But I have to see how my condition is first....=\

Wish myself good luck for the dental visit later ... ... nervous and scared....

No comments: