Saturday, January 06, 2007

JJC Orientation Camp 1

Just came back from my 3D2N orientation camp held in JJC. Through this camp, I make a lot more friends in a shorter time. The majority of the JJCians are friendly and that makes bond-building an easier job. In my group, most of the guys are friendly, as well as LAME. Being LAME, to me, is a good thing. Simple reason: I am a lame person too. 0_o" Hence, everything is made easier. 'Ice is easier to break.!' Bond is thus easier to build!

Having had expeiences in organizing a few camps in Student Council in secondary school, I can understand that keeping events to run smoothly and follow according to the tight schedule is definitely not an easy task. You will need to have a clear and detailed planning and this has to be done early. You will also need to be able to foresee possible problems that may arise during the camp which would disrupt the events such as raining. Of course, there are many more factors needed to be completed and I shan't continue or it'll be boring...

On the 1st day of camp, I woke up at 5.28am just to get myself everything prepared for the camp, and of course not to be late as I, yanli & yangce had decided to meet up at JP bus interchange and I was late for 10+ minutes on the Admin Day. However, I still reach at 6.38am (6.30am is the meeting time). Fortunately, those 2 were later than me by 4 minutes. On the first day, the campers and the leaders played water bomb! It was indeed a MASS WATER BOMB! Many gallons of water was wasted though. LOL. We threw the water bombs at one another. It was fun cos of the fact that you are given a chance to wet people but at the same time you yourself would not want to get wet. Still, I got wet. All due to Alvin Lim! (not Alvin Lum... haha) All the campers have a great great afternoon. After dinner, the campers learnt many songs whereby some of them are composed by ex-JJCians. The lyrics of the songs are very meaningful indeed! To me, the most meaningful song is 'Tonight'. The first 2 stanzas of this song are already extremely meaninigful which talked about tonight is the last few moments we got to get together and after which, it is no longer that easy to gather together. Too bad I can't remember the lyrics. =/ The campers slept in the hall which was damn damn damn cold cos of the air-con surrounding us and kept blowing cold air which sank onto us. It's a hard time for me to endure the coldness "Brrrrr" through the night which was spposed to be the most comfortable and relaxing moments of the day. I even dreaded for the sun to rise and for the time to pass by faster.

We woke up at 5.45am for most campers. At around 6.45am, it was Physical Conditioning / Exercise time. The advisor of the camp, Mr Liow, invited some forigners to teach the rest how to speak the numbers 1 to 10 in their languages (German, Korean) and we'll learn them while doing pumping. X/... Overall, it was not as tough as I expected. *phew... Next event was a game involving not only water, but flour! Playing with flour in camp was not my first time and I knew how smelly and dirty that can be if you were to be in contact with flour. I even got scolded by my mum 2 years ago when I attended my 2nd Induction camp in secondary school, all beacuse of the flour! Hence, I kept myself a distance away from anyon who had a packet of 'dough' with them. In the end, I was successful! Yeah! LOL.. In the afternoon, we played a game which involved, again, water and flour. Again, I had to be alert at all time, making sure no flour was near me at all time. And again, I succedded. That saved many troubles asyou do not need to wash away the 'dough' when you get home. The nose is also spared from the stench produced by the flour.

We learnt about 6 mass dances in 2 days which were to be danced during the JJ Night on the 2nd night. Mass dances was my favourite event in the orientation cos I like to move my body. haha.. The councillors teaching us danced really great! They're cool! Christina, the councillor who taught us all the dance steps, is very patient and always keep her smiles. Though we were at times quite noisy, she was, still, patient and continued to put up her wide smiles. Thanks for that! I think it's been hard on her who needed to teach us patiently, remembering all the dance steps and to remind us the steps coming up while dancing. Her dance partner, Zhong Ru, is a talented councillor. He dances well and also plays the piano well! The other 2 councillors, Chengdi and Benjamin, who were the emcees talked really well. I think they have the potential to become hosts. [thanks kS for telling me their names ^^]

But learning 6 mass dances and remembering them in such a short time was not easy. Except those who had superb memory, most of us couldn't remember the steps and react fast enough. The moves were fast and we were also required to turn rounds quite a number of times. Still, all of us truly enjoyed the JJ Night.The decoration was grand with ballons floating and with the huge banner hanging at the stage. It's a bit squeezy though with almost 1000 campers and leaders there in the hall. At one time, the hall was damn warm that all of us were perspiring. Then, my friend told me that it was because the air-con couldn't work for some time. =.=" Everyone was very high. The atmosphere was great! I had a wonderful & memorable experience in the JJ Night.

The OGLs taught us many cheers which are really nice. "Yippa unde neh", "Chiwawa", "Xi Shua Shua", "Super Solid", "Ke Papa", "Bom Bom Pa", "We feel good!", "Yeah X3" and many many more... They also taught us many kinda claps. "Silent Clap", "Lame Clap", "Super Lame Clap", "Ghostly Clap", "Tommy Clap" and bla bla bla. LOLX...

Through this camp, I could see that all the councillors and OGLs had put in their best efforts into this huge project to make it fun and memorable for us. Their determination, passion and hardwork touch me alot. Having insufficient sleeping time and to have to still shout out loud and louder next morning is definitely not easy. I think all the organizing committee and the OGLs have done a superb job. OG 1 had left me a deep impression. All of us were strangers on the first day but we are now joking and laughing at one another! The changes we had gone through in such a short time are, well, amazing and fantastic! haha... =]]

the alchemy of life
JJ Orientation 2007

No comments: